When you think of wellness, maybe you picture a 5 star spa at the Bahamas or a spiritual retreat in Bali, but the truth is that you don’t need to be wealthy to be healthy. There are simple things at the reach of your hand that you can do to improve your health. I’m going to give you 7 things you could do daily that will make you glow:
- Use coconut oil to get rid of bad breath. Every morning before you drink your coffee, tea or even water, rinse your mouth with coconut oil to get rid of what we call toxic breath. You see, while we are asleep, gastric fluids come to our mouth and since we don’t salivate as much, bacteria proliferates creating this toxic breath. So by swishing for a few minutes with coconut oil, we can get rid of those harmful visitors instead of swallowing them.
- Add some lemon in your water. Aside from giving the water a tasty flavour, lemon is a good source of vitamin c, it improves your skin quality, it aids digestion and the citric acid in lemons help prevent kidney stones. So do yourself a favor and squeeze a bit of lemon into your glass of water at least once a day.
- Hugging! A study says that 8 hugs a day can go a long way. Hugging relaxes muscles, releasing tension in the body and can instantly boost oxytocin levels which heal feelings of loneliness, isolation and anger.
- Get 15 to 30 minutes of sun. Sun is not only good to get that vitamin D on check and that tan on point, but it also builds up the immune system, increases oxygen in human blood, lowers blood pressure and helps with depression. Who can be depressed while sun bathing?
- Walk barefoot for 10 minutes on nature. Research suggests that physical contact with the Earth’s surface can help regulate our autonomic nervous system and keep our circadian rhythms — which regulate body temperature, hormone secretion, digestion and blood pressure, among other things. Another reason direct physical contact with the ground might have beneficial physiological effects on us, is that it stimulates your body. Your feet come with reflexology points that relate to the vital organs in the body. Based on the principles of reflexology, you can stimulate those points to relieve yourself from ailments and keep your body healthy. Walking on grass or sand can be like free acupuncture!
- Meditate. Even if it’s only for 5 minutes a day. Meditation is a habitual process of training your mind to focus and redirect your thoughts. Some forms of meditation can improve depression and create a more positive outlook on life.
- Turn off all electronic devices after 10 pm. I know its tempting to keep refreshing your stories to see who has watched them, but that light that comes out of your cell phone is actually messing up with your sleeping cycle. Think about it, a hundred years ago when blackberries and apples were just fruit. When the lights went off, we had to sleep and I guarantee you our homies from 100 years ago were way less sleep deprived than we are.
With these 7 things you can start your wellness routine without breaking the bank. Comment below with some of your favorite daily routines!